First of Four Features from GKIDS and Fathom Events Partnership to Bring Acclaimed Animated Features Back to U.S. Movie Theaters Throughout 2021
What You Need to Know:
- Tickets are on sale now for CHILDREN OF THE SEA, the animated tour-deforce from Japan’s STUDIO4°C (Tekkonkinkreet, MFKZ, Mind Game). Directed by Ayumu Watanabe (“Space Brothers”), with a score by award-winning composer and longtime Studio Ghibli collaborator Joe Hisaishi (Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro). The film additionally features a stirring theme song from acclaimed musician Kenshi Yonezu, and is adapted from the award-winning manga of the same name by author Daisuke Igarashi.
- In addition to the full feature, audiences will view a special interview with Ayumu Watanabe and CGI director Kenichiro Akimoto. The film will be shown in both original Japanese and English dubbed versions.
- Sunday, June 13, 3:00 local time (English Dub)
- Tuesday, June 15, 7:00 local time (Japanese with Subtitles)
- Tickets for Children of the Sea and other events can be purchased online by visiting gkids.com/events, or at participating box offices. The ticket-on-sale date may vary based on local cinema re-openings, so please check back often. (Theaters and participants are subject to change.)
- SYNOPSIS: When Ruka was younger, she saw a ghost in the water at the aquarium where her dad works. Now she feels drawn toward the aquarium and the two mysterious boys she meets there, Umi and Sora. They were raised by dugongs and hear the same strange calls from the sea as she does. Ruka’s dad and the other adults who work at the aquarium are only distantly aware of what the children are experiencing as they get caught up in the mystery of the worldwide disappearance of the oceans’ fish.
CHILDREN OF THE SEA – EVENT DATES
CHILDREN OF THE SEA [Official US Trailer]
Source: Official Press Release
GKIDS is the producer and distributor of award-winning feature animation for both adult and family audiences. Since 2010, the company has scored an astounding 12 Best Animated Feature Oscar nominations with The Secret of Kells in 2010, A Cat in Paris and Chico & Rita in 2012, Ernest & Celestine in 2014, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea in 2015, Boy and the World and When Marnie Was There in 2016, My Life as a Zucchini in 2017, The Breadwinner in 2018, Mirai in 2019, and Wolfwalkers in 2021. GKIDS handles North American distribution for the famed Studio Ghibli library of films, one of the world’s most coveted animation collections with titles Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke and others; as well as the critically acclaimed television series, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Also, GKIDS is the founder and host of ANIMATION IS FILM, the annual LA-based film festival which embraces the highest aspirations of animation as a cinematic art form, and is a vocal advocate for filmmakers who push the boundaries of the medium to its fullest range of artistic expressions. www.gkids.com
About Fathom Events
Fathom is a recognized leader in the entertainment industry as one of the top distributors of content to movie theaters in North America. Owned by AMC Entertainment Inc. (NYSE: AMC); Cinemark Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CNK); and Regal Cinemas, a subsidiary of the Cineworld Group (LSE: CINE.L)., Fathom operates the largest cinema distribution network, delivering a wide variety of programming and experiences to cinema audiences in all of the top U.S. markets and to more than 45 countries. For more information, visit www.FathomEvents.com