What You Need to Know:
- Alright, so let's be honest, the past few months haven't really been so great, mostly due to the chaos ensuing regarding the Coronavirus. By this point, this virus should now become a sinister villain in a comic book, or perhaps a brand new anime (too soon?) for fans to point the finger at.
- All jokes aside, the Coronavirus is clearly running amok in the anime community, and it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. Fortunately for those in the manga community however, it seems like there's a light at the end of this murky, and congested Coronvirus infested tunnel, as many giant Japanese publishers are now offering free-to-read manga online for those who decide to stay inside to thwart off the evil mist.
- According to the tweet above from Livedoor News, a lot of free editions are currently available from (websites are found next to the publisher):
- In addition to this already large catalog, other publishers are granting fans access to their best-sellers vault, allowing manga junkies to dive into and revist a large catalog of long-running titles. More notably, the Sunday Webly is giving fans some very iconic titles to check out for free, such as Ranma 1/2, Major, and Psyche Mata Shite mo (these have been released as of March 8). All volumes are free, just in case you need a reminder and you think we're crazy. Other notable titles include: The Law of Ueki, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and Miyuki, which will launch on March 15th.
- Ushio and Tora and Libero Revolution make the list as well, which will arrive March 22nd, which puts the total number of volumes at around 392. These are just the volumes mind you, as an intelligent being would know that each volume contains a plethora of chapters to indulge in.
- Now add in apps like Comic Days, Dragon Zakura Note, Manga Mee, and Book Walker, who are also throwing out freebies, and you're looking at more than 400 in total. These apps are giving away titles such as: Space Brothers, Hozuki’s Coolheadedness, and Crayon Shin-chan, just to name a few.
- So while you're at home praying for this Coronavirus to dissipate from existence, why not just take some pressure of your mind and catch up on some manga will you? Create your own little makeshift manga cafe in the comfort of your own home!
● Weekly Shonen Jump (Shonen Jump+)
● Weekly Shonen Sunday (Sunday Webly)
● Kokoro Comic, Kokoro Ichiban (Kokoro Online)
● Betsu Comi, Sho-Comi, Cheese!, Ciao Deluxe, Petit Comic, Monthly Flowers (Shogakukan e-Comic Store)
● Ribbon, Bessatsu Margaret, Koko Hana, The Margaret (Margaret Bookstore)
● Weekly Shonen Champion (Manga Cross)
● Hana to Yume, The Hana to Yume Shin, LaLa, LaLaDX