What You Need to Know:
- Animation studio CoMix Wave Films, STORY Inc and Toho Co., Ltd. are proud to reveal to the world for the first time, a teaser trailer and new key art for Makoto Shinkai’s highly anticipated film: Suzume no Tojimari (working title). Furthermore, the film is scheduled to be released theatrically in Japan on November 11, 2022. The upcoming film follows his previous two blockbusters, “Your Name.” (2016) and “Weathering with You” (2019), which garnered unprecedented international acclaim.
- “We must think about how to close the many doors we left open,” says Director Makoto Shinkai as he continues work on the film. “I’ve bestowed that responsibility upon Suzume as she travels across Japan closing various doors. It is my sincere hope that this film leaves its audiences with big smiles and excitement as they walk out of the theater.”
- The teaser for the film is set to premiere exclusively on Toho’s MOVIE Channel on YouTube at 08:00pm on April 10, 2022 JST (04:00am on April 10, 2022 PST)!
- Moreover, in anticipation of the teaser trailer tomorrow, a sneak peek of a frame from the film will be shown. In it, a small and forgotten destination hot springs town can be seen. A ryokan-style inn lies derelict and abandoned, the rooms overrun with curling ivy, signs pitted and rusted… Suzume walks through this desolate scene in what Makoto Shinkai describes as “A story about closure.”
- The stars
- The sunset
- The morning sky
- Theatrical Release (Japan)
- 11/11/2022 (Fri)
On the other side of the door, was time in its entirety—
17-year-old Suzume’s journey begins in a quiet town in Kyushu when she encounters a young man who tells her, “I’m looking for a door.” What Suzume finds is a single weathered door standing upright in the midst of ruins as though it was shielded from whatever catastrophe struck. Seemingly mesmerized by its power, Suzume reaches for the knob…
Doors begin to open one after another all across Japan, unleashing destruction upon any who are near. Suzume must close these portals to prevent further disaster.
Within that realm, it was as though all time had melted together in the sky—
Drawn in by this mysterious door, Suzume’s journey is about to begin.
Accompanied only by a simple “I’ll see you later,” the newly revealed key visual features Suzume with her hair up in a ponytail, standing in front of a door holding a small wooden chair with both hands, about to depart on her journey. The water ripples ever so slightly at her feet as the door is cracked open.
Last but not least, the film is scheduled for a Japanese theatrical release on November 11, 2022. Stay tuned for more information about “Suzume no Tojimari (working title).”
Title: Suzume no Tojimari (English title TBC)
Director / Original Story / Screenplay: Makoto Shinkai
Character Design: Masayoshi Tanaka
Animation Director: Kenichi Tsuchiya
Art Director: Takumi Tanji
Production Company: CoMix Wave Films Inc.
Producing Company: STORY inc.
Distribution Company: Toho Co., Ltd.
Copyright: ©2022 “Suzume no Tojimari” Production Committee
Source: Official Press Release