Award-Winning Graphic Novel Publisher to Bring Beloved Anime Series to Gaming Tables and Coffee Tables
What You Need to Know:
- TMS Entertainment and acclaimed publisher of graphic novels and art books, Magnetic Press, (a Polarity owned company) today announced their partnership to publish a line of products based on the world-popular anime series LUPIN THE 3rd, which celebrates its 50th Anniversary this October. Plans include a brand-new Tabletop Role-playing Game built on Magnetic’s new D6MV ruleset variation of the renowned D6 System of roleplaying rules made popular by licensing partner West End Games and a deluxe retrospective coffee table book.
- Created in the late 1960s by the celebrated mangaka Monkey Punch, TMS produced LUPIN THE 3rd, the first animated series which debuted on October 24th, 1971 and has since spawned well over 250 serialized episodes and numerous animated feature films and original video animations (OVAs). It is most widely recognized for the 1978 feature film LUPIN THE 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro which marked the directorial debut of Hayao Miyazaki. While the series has evolved over the decades, the energetic style and jazzy globetrotting adventures remain true to the heart of the property.
- The Tabletop Role-playing Game will give players an opportunity to participate in fast-paced adventures and master-thief heists set around the globe, with a unique open-world quest system filled with rewards and challenges reminiscent of both collectible card games and video game RPGs. The game will be published under Magnetic’s gaming imprint, Magnetic Press Play, and will utilize their unique “Magnetic Variant (D6MV)” ruleset built upon the classic D6 System made popular by West End Games with their original Star Wars and Ghostbusters RPGs. More details about the game will be revealed in October as part of the Anniversary celebration.
- The Anniversary Coffee Table Book will spotlight the birth and evolution of the LUPIN THE 3rd franchise since its manga inception by the late Monkey Punch, with a comprehensive look at each episode, feature, and season produced by TMS Entertainment through the years. The book will also include a near-encyclopedic look at the central characters and supporting cast throughout the series, as well as various media adaptations and a gallery of artwork certain to entertain fans both old and new.
- Magnetic’s first Tabletop RPG based on the popular Image Comic series Carbon Grey is currently available for pre-order on Kickstarter at www.carbon-grey.com.
“As a lifelong anime fan, LUPIN THE 3rd has always been a standout favorite. The charm, wit, and thrills of that entire series, from LUPIN THE 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro to the latest Lupin III: The First, have transcended the test of time to become an evergreen of fun entertainment. We’re excited to not only capture that storied history in a beautiful Anniversary Coffee Table book, but to offer a doorway into that universe through a new tabletop RPG.”
-Mike Kennedy, Founder and Publisher of Magnetic Press
“We’re absolutely thrilled to be partnering with Magnetic Press to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the LUPIN THE 3rd franchise. Having grown up with the series, I cannot begin to describe how incredibly exciting it has been to have watched the LUPIN THE 3rd universe expand and evolve throughout the years. I am greatly looking forward to the release of these new offerings from Magnetic Press, as they will provide fans the ability to experience Lupin in a capacity like never before; I cannot think of a better way to celebrate this momentous anniversary.”
-Masami Tokunaga, Senior Vice President of TMS Entertainment USA, Inc.
Source: Official Press Release
LUPIN THE 3rd 50th Anniversary Project Teaser
About Magnetic Press
MAGNETIC PRESS is a subsidiary of Polarity that publishes graphic novels, art books, and periodicals curated with a focus on internationally recognized content and talent, presented with premium quality design and production value. The Magnetic brand was founded by writer and video game veteran Mike Kennedy in 2013 as the independent publishing company Magnetic Press, Inc, featuring creators both new and established from around the world, sharing their stories with an English-language audience often for the first time. Their award-winning library includes such celebrated titles as the Love series of wordless wildlife graphic novels, as well as Eisner-nominated books Mister Invincible, Pistouvi, Irena, Stay, A Sea of Love, Watersnakes, Herakles, Doomboy, A Glance Backward, Little Tails, The Ghost of Gaudi, and Dave Dorman’s Wasted Lands Omnibus. Magnetic has earned a total of 23 Eisner Award nominations in their first six-of-six years of eligibility. Magnetic also won the Gold Medal of Excellence in the graphic novel category of the 2015 Independent Publisher Awards for Love: The Fox.
In 2021, Magnetic launched Magnetic Press Play, an imprint dedicated to gaming and new media endeavors. Currently announced projects and properties include CARBON GREY, based on the Image Comics series by Hoang Nguyen, and an official role-playing game based on the popular anime series LUPIN THE 3rd. www.magnetic-press.com
David Steward II’s Polarity is a diversified global media company with a mission to bring authentic content to a diverse global audience. To create a richer content experience and offering, the company believes in the value of embracing diversity and highlighting previously unheard voices, as well as new and emerging views and voices. In addition to Magnetic Press, the Polarity portfolio also includes Lion Forge Animation, Oni-Lion Forge Publishing Group, and Illustrated Syndicate.
With broad operations in animation, publishing and general media, Polarity has established itself as an impactful force in the entertainment industry. Steward II has been putting resources behind his vision of expanding the market for comics and comic-related pop culture to new age groups and demographics since the early 2010s, building a portfolio of titles and imprints that feature characters and creators from a wide variety of backgrounds. He’s extended that vision and ethic to the larger media landscape with an organization that can orchestrate content development, production, financing and distribution across different channels.
About TMS Entertainment USA, Inc.
TMS Entertainment USA, Inc. is a subsidiary of TMS Entertainment Co., Ltd. (better known as TMS), one of the largest anime studios in Japan. With strong focus on anime production, licensing, and distribution businesses, TMS boasts a library of over 12,000 episodes across a total of 420 titles that include much-loved anime titles such as LUPIN THE 3rd, Dr. STONE, and MEGALOBOX. For more information, visit www.tmsanime.com