PAX Unplugged Returns in December, Aabria Iyengar to Deliver Storytime Keynote
What You Need to Know:
- PAX East 2022, the East Coast’s most attended gaming event, makes its triumphant return as a live, in-person expo at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (BCEC) from Thursday, April 21, 2022 to Sunday, April 24, 2022.
- PAX East will feature a massive expo hall floor, panels featuring industry luminaries, and a variety of competitive and casual gameplay areas. Four-day and single-day badges will go on sale in the coming weeks, with exhibitors and schedule to be announced in the leadup to the show.
- Show organizers ReedPop and Penny Arcade canceled PAX East 2021, prioritizing the health and safety of the community, and hosted PAX Online East in its stead. After hosting a safe PAX West over Labor Day weekend in Seattle, PAX East will feature even more stringent health and safety requirements, including mandatory vaccination and face coverings for all in the BCEC, with proof of vaccination to be required for all PAX events in the foreseeable future.
- The tabletop focused iteration PAX Unplugged, taking place Friday, December 10 to Sunday, December 12 in Philadelphia, PA at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, will also mandate vaccines and face coverings as part of its health and safety guidelines. The event will be kicked off by a Storytime keynote from tabletop gaming veteran Aabria Iyengar.
- Iyengar is a regular guest on popular D&D show Critical Role, joining regulars Matt Mercer, Marisha Ray, Krystina Arielle, and more. She was the Dungeon Master on the beloved Exandria Unlimited miniseries, game master for Misfits and Magic and Into the Mother Lands, in addition to often appearing on livestream tabletop roleplaying game series as a dungeon master or player, like on Saving Throw and The Adventure Zone.
- Four-day and single-day PAX East badge prices and availability will be announced soon. Three-day badges for PAX Unplugged 2021 are now on sale for $75, while individual Friday, Saturday, and Sunday badges will go for $35 each.
- For badge purchasing, travel info, event schedules, FAQs, and more, check out the PAX Unplugged and PAX East websites, and follow PAX on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, YouTube, and Instagram.
“We know people have been anxiously waiting to find out if PAX East was happening, and we had to finally let the cat out of the bag. I’m looking forward to rolling some D20s in Philly and then getting a lobster roll in Boston.”
Jerry Holkins, co-founder, Penny Arcade.
PAX, or Penny Arcade Expo, is a festival for gamers to celebrate gaming culture. First held in Seattle in 2004, PAX has nearly doubled in size each successive year, with PAX Prime 2014 selling out of tickets in a matter of minutes. Connecting the world's leading game publishers with their most avid and influential fans, PAX expanded with a second show in Boston in 2010, and a third in San Antonio in 2015, making it the three largest gaming shows in North America. The first international PAX was held in Melbourne, Australia in 2013. In 2017, Penny Arcade established PAX Unplugged, its first tabletop focused show, held in Philadelphia.
ReedPop is a boutique group within Reed Exhibitions – the world’s leading event organizer. Launched in 2006, the group has become the number one producer of pop culture events across the globe as well as a full-service digital content provider and media company. Delivering once-in-a-lifetime fan experiences curated specifically for localized audiences, ReedPop currently features events in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, India, Africa, and Australia, including: New York Comic Con (NYCC), Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2), PAX West, East, South, and Australia, Emerald City Comic Con (ECCC), MCM Comic Con, BookCon, Oz Comic Con, EGX, Comic Con India, Comic Con Paris, Comic Con Seoul, Comic Con Africa, Star Wars Celebration, and ComplexCon. ReedPop also runs and operates Gamer Network and its portfolio of leading gaming websites including Eurogamer, RockPaperShotgun, and GamesIndustry.biz. The staff at ReedPop are a fan-based, globally focused group of professionals that are uniquely qualified to build and serve the communities with whom they share a common passion.
About Penny Arcade
Penny Arcade has been the world’s most popular webcomic for over 20 years, with over 3.5 million readers. Started in 1998 in the living room of Mike Krahulik & Jerry Holkins, it has grown into a media empire encompassing multiple beloved properties such as Lookouts, Automata, and beloved D&D live-play series Acquisitions Incorporated. Penny Arcade was responsible for the creation of Child’s Play, a gaming charity that has raised over $45 million dollars for children across the world. They are also the founders of PAX, the number one consumer gaming festival in North America, with hundreds of thousands of loyal visitors every year.
Source: Official Press Release