What You Need to Know:
- Anime NYC powered by Crunchyroll announced today that international performance artist and pop star Poppy will be joining Anime NYC this year as a Guest of Honor. This will be Poppy’s first appearance at Anime NYC. Poppy has a legion of followers online and is one of the most talked-about musical artists across the globe. She will appear at Anime NYC to speak about her Japanese influences and manga-inspired graphic novel, Genesis 1.
- Anime NYC is New York’s largest anime, manga, and Japanese pop culture convention. It will welcome over 40,000 attendees when it returns to the Javits Center for its third year on November 15-17, 2019. In addition to Poppy, it will showcase major names from across the anime world including Yoshiyuki Tomino, creator and director of the 40-year-old Mobile Suit Gundam; Riichiro Inagaki and Boich, creators of hit manga series Dr. STONE; and Lantis Matsuri 2019 at Anime NYC, a mega-concert with Japanese musicians JAM Project, TRUE, ZAQ, and Guilty Kiss from Love Live! Sunshine!! Aqours.
- Poppy made her debut online when she declared “I am Poppy,” and through a series of mysterious, enigmatic videos that have earned over 400 million views, she’s developed a worldwide following that’s expanded into albums and live concerts around the planet. She released “Poppy.Computer,” her first critically-acclaimed studio album in 2017, which Rolling Stone dubbed “one of the most surprising albums of the year that pushes against the written-by-committee blandness of Top-40’s offerings with effervescent hooks and deliberate weirdness.” The impressive debut, which aptly earned her the title of “the Warhol of the YouTube era” by New York Magazine, led to the sold-out Poppy.Computer Tour and a succession of projects including a collaboration with Sanrio and the manga-inspired graphic novel Genesis 1 published by Z2 Comics.
- Poppy will appear on Friday, November 15 at Anime NYC. She will participate in a main stage discussion about her music, graphic novel, and Japanese inspirations. Following her talk, she will conduct a limited autograph signing for fans at Anime NYC. Poppy’s full schedule and autograph details will be published later this month.
- Anime NYC will continue to announce more guests throughout the fall, and attendees can look forward to the latest from sponsors, partners, and publishers including Crunchyroll, Animate, Aniplex, BANDAI NAMCO Arts, EVA Air, Funimation, GKIDS, HIDIVE, Kinokuniya, Kodansha Comics, Sentai Filmworks, SUNRISE, Tokyo Otaku Mode, Vertical, VIZ Media, and Yen Press.
Source: Official Press Release
I wasn't expecting her eyes to be like that...
Cute but a little scary...