What You Need to Know:
- The space opera anime epic of humans defending their homeworld against alien domination is set to return for a new generation of audiences as Funimation brings the franchise to its service later this fall.
- Produced by Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko Productions, the action-adventure animated series Robotech introduced an entire generation of viewers to anime when it first premiered in 1985 and, to this day, has a thriving and extensive fan base around the globe. Funimation will be premiering 85 episodes of the series -- told over three sagas -- this fall on its streaming service worldwide (except Japan) and will debut a collector’s edition box set on Blu-ray in Dolby Digital on September 28 and through a series of licensed product partnerships.
- Robotech is told through the eyes of characters caught up in a series of wars that erupts when a mysterious spacecraft crash-lands on Earth. Only through unlocking the secrets of Robotechnology do they have any hope of surviving. The sprawling series helped introduce a generation of western audiences to anime and is full of engaging drama, genuine relationships, and forward-thinking ideas.
- The Robotech home entertainment collector’s edition, available exclusively on Funimation Shop, contains all 85 episodes of the series, all remastered for the first time on Blu-ray. The remastering will be faithful to the preceding DVD box set release and retain a classic “film grain.” With its retro packaging design, the collector’s edition also includes: an exclusive Variant Transforming Robotech - Roy Fokker’s VF-1S; an exclusive Variant Action Figure - Roy Fokker in Pilot Uniform Variant Shade of Black; and a series of Robotech-embroidered patches. It’s the first time and truly one-of-a-kind dual packaging of the Transforming Robotech and action figure.
- Since Robotech premiered, the action adventure sensation shaped an entire generation of anime fans. Since then, it’s grown into a global phenomenon, spawning films, toys, games, and much more. Funimation now has rights to merchandise and bolstering franchise at retail with expanded programs and will begin to roll out these products this summer, including the new Robotech game on Switch (Robotech Macross Saga HD) and WAX’s Robotech Series 1 NFTs that released on the digital blockchain.
“Robotech is a beloved series and an integral part of anime history. It’s a wonderful opportunity to engage the original passionate fans from decades ago and also expose a whole new generation to this classic series.”
-Mitchel Berger, Funimation Global Group’s Senior Vice President of Commerce
Source: Official Press Release
If it’s anime, it’s Funimation.
As the market leader in anime, we proudly deliver incredible fan experiences across television, feature films, events, collectibles, and the Funimation App.
Headquartered in the US and connected by a global network, our anime-obsessed team serves the fandom in over 49 countries and 10 languages. With over 400 team members, we’ve built a global community where fans and their passion will always have a place to belong.
Funimation is an independently operated joint venture between US-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Japan’s Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc., both subsidiaries of Tokyo-based Sony Group Corporation.