Monthly Deep-Dives Promise Adventure-Packed Trips Down Memory Lane
What You Need to Know:
- Yesterday, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics kicked off a year-long 25th anniversary celebration of TOMB RAIDER, the iconic videogame series that debuted in October 1996.
- Fans can access the 25th anniversary webpage at https://tombraider.com/25
- Tomb Raider’s star, famous archeologist-adventurer Lara Croft, has become a powerful force in the gaming industry and beyond, and has made an indelible mark on virtually every facet of entertainment. From being named an ambassador for scientific excellence to appearing live on tour with U2, Lara Croft has touched the lives of tens of millions of people around the world. With over 30 video game titles released and hundreds of awards, the heroine has been a cultural icon for 25 years on gaming screens and Hollywood silver screens alike, battling T-Rexes, unearthing ancient artifacts, and saving the world from an apocalypse or two. Lara has had adventures in dozens of countries, explored the Mediterranean, Adriatic, and Andaman Seas, ventured to Antarctica and the Arctic Circle, and rediscovered Atlantis and the lost island of Yamatai.
- Tomb Raider’s year-long celebration of its 25th anniversary will feature in-depth explorations of the major games released in the franchise, including nostalgic media deep from the archives, developer interviews, community activities, live playthroughs, and more. Over the coming months, developer Crystal Dynamics will re-visit the lineup of major Tomb Raider games, focusing on one game each month. Fans of Tomb Raider and Lara Croft can look forward to additional franchise announcements over the course of the year.
- Tomb Raider games are currently available on all modern gaming platforms, from PC to console, Stadia, and mobile.
“Over the last 25 years Tomb Raider has become more than a game and Lara Croft has risen to become a cultural icon. We’re so proud to be a part of this rich tapestry of adventure, but we recognize the true credit belongs to the fans! The amazing Tomb Raider community has made all of this possible and we look forward to celebrating with them his historic milestone and for many decades to come.”
Scot Amos, Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics
Source: Official Press Release
About TOMB RAIDER
The TOMB RAIDER® franchise, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary, has sold over 81 million copies worldwide. The franchise’s popularity has exploded into a series of blockbuster films based on the original Tomb Raider game and 2013 reboot. Its protagonist Lara Croft® has been a contemporary global icon for over two decades. The most recent release in the world-famous franchise, Shadow of the Tomb Raider™, has received numerous “Best of” nominations and awards and is the remarkable conclusion to Lara Croft’s origin story. All of this continues to make TOMB RAIDER a destination brand for action-adventure.
About Crystal Dynamics
Crystal Dynamics® has developed and published over 30 award-winning titles during its 28-year adventure. Some of the most beloved franchises include Gex®, Legacy of Kain® and most recently, TOMB RAIDER® which has sold over 81 million copies worldwide. With over 30 video game titles released and hundreds of awards, the heroine Lara Croft® has been a cultural icon for over 20 years and has made an indelible mark on virtually every facet of entertainment. Most recently, Crystal Dynamics expanded its operations by opening Crystal Northwest™ in Bellevue, Washington.
Eidos-Montréal™ (a Square Enix® studio) is focused on creating immersive and captivating experiences. For the last decade, the development teams at Eidos-Montréal have orchestrated the successful reboot of the DEUS EX® series (Deus Ex: Human Revolution®, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided®), released the latest entry in the THIEF® franchise, and have also played a key role in the development of the award-winning TOMB RAIDER® series.
About Square Enix, Inc.
Square Enix develops, publishes, distributes and licenses SQUARE ENIX®, EIDOS® and TAITO® branded entertainment content in Europe and other PAL territories as part of the Square Enix group of companies. Square Enix Ltd. also has a global network of leading development studios such as Crystal Dynamics® and Eidos Montréal®. The Square Enix group of companies boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY®, which has sold over 159 million units worldwide; DRAGON QUEST®, which has sold over 82 million units worldwide; TOMB RAIDER®, which has sold over 81 million units worldwide; and the legendary SPACE INVADERS®. Square Enix Ltd. is a London-based, wholly owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd.