Series Kicks Off with 20th Anniversary Screenings of the Academy Award-winning Spirited Away, and Includes Four of Studio Ghibli’s Most Cherished Films
What You Need to Know:
- After launching in 2017, followed by two wildly successful iterations in 2018-19, STUDIO GHIBLI FEST is back in theaters for 2021, kicking off with celebratory 20th anniversary screenings of esteemed director Hayao Miyazaki’s Oscar®-winning feature Spirited Away. GKIDS, the acclaimed producer and distributor of multiple Academy Award®-nominated animated features, and Fathom Events are proud to continue their collaboration, and deliver four timeless classics from Academy Award®-winning director Hayao Miyazaki and the legendary Studio Ghibli to U.S. cinemas throughout the fall with STUDIO GHIBLI FEST 2021.
- On the heels of the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures opening, which will feature a special exhibit paying tribute to the artwork of Hayao Miyazaki, STUDIO GHIBLI FEST 2021 highlights four beloved films by the director, including the Academy Award®-winning masterpiece Spirited Away, the Oscar®- nominated fantasy epic Howl's Moving Castle, celebratory 35th anniversary screenings of the steampunk adventure Castle in the Sky, and concludes with the timeless fan-favorite My Neighbor Totoro.
- Each event will be shown in both original Japanese and English dubbed versions, and will include exclusive bonus content. Tickets for STUDIO GHIBLI FEST 2021 can be purchased online beginning Friday, July 16 by visiting GhibliFest.com, FathomEvents.com, or at participating theater box offices. The ticket on-sale date may vary based on local cinemas, so please check back often. (Theaters and participants are subject to change).
Studio Ghibli Fest 2021 | Announcement Trailer
“Since their founding, Studio Ghibli has always wanted fans to see their works on the big screen. We are delighted to partner with Fathom Events to welcome Ghibli fans back to cinemas with four of the studio’s most enduring works, including a 20th anniversary celebration of Spirited Away, one the most influential and celebrated films of all time.”
-GKIDS’ President David Jesteadt
“Studio Ghibli Fest has become an annual must-do for animation fans. We are proud to continue our long-standing partnership with GKIDS to bring fans the unique opportunity to experience some of the best in animation in their local cinemas among a community of fellow fans.”
-Fathom Events CEO Ray Nutt said
STUDIO GHIBLI FEST 2021 SCHEDULE
All event listings are in local time
Spirited Away 20th Anniversary
· Sunday, October 3, 2021, 3:00 PM (English Dubbed)
· Monday, October 4, 2021, 7:00 PM (Japanese with Subtitles)
· Wednesday, October 6, 2021, 7:00 PM (English Dubbed)
Howl’s Moving Castle
· Sunday, October 24, 2021, 3:00 PM (English Dubbed)
· Monday, October 25, 2021, 7:00 PM (Japanese with Subtitles)
· Thursday, October 28, 2021, 7:00 PM (English Dubbed)
Castle in the Sky 35th Anniversary
· Sunday, November 14, 2021, 3:00 PM (English Dubbed)
· Monday, November 15, 2021, 7:00 PM (Japanese with Subtitles)
· Thursday, November 18, 2021, 7:00 PM (English Dubbed)
My Neighbor Totoro
· Sunday, December 5, 2021, 3:00 PM (English Dubbed)
· Monday, December 6, 2021, 7:00 PM (Japanese with Subtitles)
· Thursday, December 9, 2021, 7:00 PM (English Dubbed)
Source: Official Press Release
GKIDS is the producer and distributor of award-winning feature animation for both adult and family audiences. Since 2010, the company has scored an astounding 12 Best Animated Feature Oscar nominations with The Secret of Kells in 2010, A Cat in Paris and Chico & Rita in 2012, Ernest & Celestine in 2014, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea in 2015, Boy and the World and When Marnie Was There in 2016, My Life as a Zucchini in 2017, The Breadwinner in 2018, Mirai in 2019, and Wolfwalkers in 2021. GKIDS handles North American distribution for the famed Studio Ghibli library of films, one of the world’s most coveted animation collections with titles Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke and others; as well as the critically acclaimed television series, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Also, GKIDS is the founder and host of ANIMATION IS FILM, the annual LA-based film festival which embraces the highest aspirations of animation as a cinematic art form, and is a vocal advocate for filmmakers who push the boundaries of the medium to its fullest range of artistic expressions. www.gkids.com
About Studio Ghibli
Studio Ghibli is one of the most acclaimed and influential animation studios in the world, inspiring filmmakers and audiences alike over the last 30 years with beloved stories and breathtaking visuals. Under the brilliance of visionary animation directors Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, and producer Toshio Suzuki, the studio’s films are known for timeless classics such as My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and Ponyo; and have won countless international awards including an Academy Award® for Best Animated Feature for Spirited Away, as well as four additional Oscar® nominations for Howl’s Moving Castle, The Wind Rises, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, and When Marnie Was There. Director and studio co-founder Hayao Miyazaki was separately given an Honorary Award at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Governors Awards in 2014, and the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures will pay tribute to his artwork with a special exhibit when the Museum opens in September 2021.
About Fathom Events
Fathom is a recognized leader in the entertainment industry as one of the top distributors of content to movie theaters in North America. Owned by AMC Entertainment Inc. (NYSE: AMC); Cinemark Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CNK); and Regal Cinemas, a subsidiary of the Cineworld Group (LSE: CINE.L)., Fathom operates the largest cinema distribution network, delivering a wide variety of programming and experiences to cinema audiences in all of the top U.S. markets and to more than 45 countries. For more information, visit www.FathomEvents.com.