What You Need to Know:
- Several female Japanese college students were asked the critical question: "Would you consider dating a guy who likes anime?"
- The answers obtained were not promising for many otaku, but some were quite accepting.
- The key take away is that girls unsurprisingly want to be able to share in their lover's interests.
The Nay Sayers
- If I'd face some trauma from the guy, then it's a no for me.
"I was getting along with a guy and he recommended I watch an anime which was absolutely horrible, and I had no idea why he'd even bring it up. By the way, the story was about a protagonist who flirted around with so many girls, and eventually ended up being killed. Because of something like that, I'd have to say no." (22 years old)
- It depends on the content of the anime.
"If they're into anime like Evangelion, Shingeki no Kyojin, or Bakemonogatari which are obviously aimed at adults, then that's fine. But if the anime were meant for little kids, then that's a deal breaker. It'd just seem creepy." (21 years old)
- If it seems like they're only interested in anime, then no thank you.
"Let's say they're in the tennis club at school, they have a part-time job, they go to drinking parties and have several friends, and anime is just one part of their life, then that would be OK." (20 years old)
The Yay Sayers
- I watch anime too, so it's OK.
"There are plenty of decent anime that are actually really deep and interesting. I watch those a lot, so there'd be no problem. In fact, I want a boyfriend who I can get fired up about anime with." (22 years old)
- If they don't collect a bunch of anime goods, then sure.
"I'd question their judgement if they bought all sorts of goods. It costs a lot, and that much blind passion is just a little... But if it's just those little characters you can get at a convenience store, then that's fine." (23 years old)
Source: My Navi
Reactions Around the Web
I'm pretty sure Shingeki no Kyojin is targeted at middle school kids. lol
Though I love it."