Advance Tickets Are Now on Sale
What You Need to Know:
- Just in time for Summer romance, Funimation is bringing the heart-warming, animated film Josee, the Tiger and the Fish to select theaters in the U.S. and Canada from July 12-14. The film is in Japanese with English subtitles and dubbed. Tickets are on sale June 18. For more information visit funimation.com/josee.
- The emotional and cinematic coming-of-age love story is directed by Kotaro Tamura and produced by studio Bones (Fullmetal Alchemist, My Hero Academia). The film is 98 minutes and unrated.
- The film follows an unlikely pair, Josee, a gifted artist and disabled woman struggling to find purpose, and Tsuneo Suzukawa, a passionate scuba diver. The duo come together out of necessity and find they have a shared passion. Josee, the Tiger and the Fish is based on a 1985 short story written by Akutagawa Prize-winning author Seiko Tanabe.
- The film was released in Japan in 2020 and nominated for “Best Animation” in the 75th Mainichi Film Awards and “Animation of the Year” for the 44th Japan Academy Film Prize.
- Synopsis: Tsuneo, an ordinary college student and avid diver, unexpectedly becomes the caretaker of a wheelchair-bound young woman in order to raise money for this dream to go diving in Mexico. This young woman, who calls herself Josee after her favorite book character, is sullen and demanding, but as Tsuneo helps Josee interact with the outside world and learns more about Josee’s unique perspective, their feelings grow into love. The two begin to support each other in ways beyond just romance.
Josee, the Tiger and the Fish | Offical Anime Trailer (Eng Sub)
“With sweeping animation that draws audiences into the story, studio Bones and Kataro Tamura have created a moving tale about human connection. Funimation is proud to bring the film to theaters this July.”
-Mitchel Berger, Funimation Global Group’s Senior Vice President of Commerce
Source: Official Press Release
If it’s anime, it’s Funimation.
As the market leader in anime, we proudly deliver incredible fan experiences across television, feature films, events, collectibles, and the Funimation App.
Headquartered in the US and connected by a global network, our anime-obsessed team serves the fandom in over 49 countries and 10 languages. With over 400 team members, we’ve built a global community where fans and their passion will always have a place to belong.
Funimation is an independently operated joint venture between US-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Japan’s Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc., both subsidiaries of Tokyo-based Sony Group Corporation.