What You Need to Know:
- Anime NYC powered by Crunchyroll and SUNRISE today announced Yoshiyuki Tomino, creator and director of the Mobile Suit Gundam television series, will participate in this year’s Anime NYC as an Official Guest. This will be Mr. Tomino’s only US appearance to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of one of Japan’s most long-running and influential anime franchises.
- Anime NYC is New York’s largest anime, manga, and Japanese pop culture convention. It will welcome over 40,000 attendees when it returns to the Javits Center for its third year on November 15-17, 2019. In addition to Mr. Tomino, it will showcase major names from across the anime world including Riichiro Inagaki and Boich, creators of hit manga series Dr. STONE, and Lantis Matsuri 2019 at Anime NYC, a mega concert with Japanese musicians JAM Project, TRUE, ZAQ, and Guilty Kiss from Love Live! Sunshine!! Aqours.
- The original Mobile Suit Gundam television series debuted on April 7, 1979 and told a unique story about the horrors of war and towering humanoid weapons called “Mobile Suits”. The success of Mobile Suit Gundam would go on to inspire over 20 television series, 10 movies, and a toy line centered around “Gunpla” model kits. Over 500 million Gunpla models have been sold around the world, and Gundam is one of the top 15 highest-grossing media franchises on the planet. A live-action Gundam film is currently in development at Legendary Entertainment.
- Central to Gundam is Director Yoshiyuki Tomino. His realistic approach to war and robots defined Gundam and redefined storytelling in the anime industry. Gundam’s impact continues to this day and has influenced countless popular titles including Evangelion, Macross, Patlabor, Code Geass, Full Metal Panic, Knights of Sidonia, and VOTOMS. Mr. Tomino has remained involved across Gundam’s 40 year history, and he’s personally created and directed many of Gundam’s television series and feature films including Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Char’s Counterattack, Gundam F91, Victory Gundam, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam Reconguista in G.
- Mr. Tomino will appear at Anime NYC for panel discussions, autograph sessions, and special events. He will be part of large Gundam 40th Anniversary festivities at Anime NYC. These festivities include the final US contest for the 2019 Gunpla Builders World Cup, an annual international competition featuring Gunpla model builders from across the planet. The US Gunpla Builders World Cup winner will go on to compete in Tokyo against model makers from Japan, Australia, Italy, France, China, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
Source: Official Press Release
The man. The myth. The Legend himself!
He's no myth bee-kun! He's the GUNDAM GOD!