What You Need to Know:
- Everyone knows or at least has heard of Osomatsu-san. With it becoming a global phenomenon, it really has taken off due to the help of female fans who have fallen in love with the six Osomatsu brothers. It may have went off air, but it still enjoys a great amount of sales.
- Recently, the boys have been given a Taisho Era look of costumes ranging from soldier to police officer to naval officer and more! These are coming in the form of wall scrolls with a price tag of ¥1800 or about $17. Unfortunately though, someone on the food chain seems to have not thought about the international power that Osomatsu-san has when they made these designs.
- South Korea and Japan have had a checkered past. South Korea and Japan have not always been so peaceful. Unfortuately during the Taisho Era, Korea as a whole peninsula was invaded multiple times as Japan fought China in the first world war. Not to menton too, that Korea was ruled by Japan for many years starting in 1910 leading to all sorts of issues. Regardless, this information is just for context and you can google more easily to learn more than what your standard history book will tell you.
- Anyways though, these wartime costumes have seemed to open fresh wounds in South Korea where Osomatsu-san is very poular. One thing to note, is that all of this is being engaged online in twitter in a very nice and respectful manner and in Japanese to boot. They are not angrily bombarding Japanese sites with Korean, but rather trying to convey their feelings in an understandable manner. There is a bit of an outcry especially with Choromatsus costume.
- The requests are simple, they either want to have the costume changed so that it is not a soldier costume, or a great apology from whomever approved it. Being suprisingly civil about it all, the demands do not include stopping sales. Just merely an apology or a costume change. The power of anime is great here. No one wants to fight. They just want change. Anime officially has had a hand in quelling the international fans' anger. What are your thoughts? Be sure to let us know in the comments below!
Someone's head should roll for this one! You have international fans and you need to be careful about this kind of thing! I hope they just apologize so that everyone can enjoy the comedic aspecs of Osomatsu-san around the world.
You gotta be careful with this kind of thing! Insular thinking is dangerous. I personally would prefer if they just remade the offensive costumes. That way, everyone can be happy.