What You Need to Know:
- If you're a fan of Japanese popular culture, you've most likely dreamt at least once about starting your own manga, but it's not all doodling and fame. It's a hard business to get into - which makes the fact that some artists debut in their teens all the more impressive!
- To find out which of these mangaka surprised Japan the most by their early success, Goo Ranking surveyed 500 online users between the ages of 20 and 30 from March 29 to 31.
- So which famous mangaka started their careers as teenagers? Are you as surprised as the Japanese fans? Let's get to the results and find out!
Top 10 - Top 6
10. Hikaru Nakamura - 17 years old (Saint Young Men) / 47 votes
9. Ryou Ikuemi - 15 years old (Kiyoku Yawaku) / 48 votes
8. Yuki Suegetsu - 1st year of high school (Chihayafuru) / 57 votes
7. Karuho Shiina - 16 years old (Kimi ni Todoke) / 58 votes
6. Yukari Ichijo - 1st year of high school (Yuukan Club) / 60 votes
Top 5 - Top 1
5. Tite Kubo - 18 years old
Best known for: Bleach
Debut work: ULTRA UNHOLY HEARTED MACHINE (1996)
4. Megumi Mizusawa - 16 years old
Debut work: Kokoro ni Sotto Sasayaite (1979)
3. Yudetamago - 17 and 18 years old
Debut work: Kinnikuman (1978)
2. Takeshi Obata - 17 years old
Debut work: 500 Kounen no Shinwa (1986)
1. Ai Yazawa - 18 years old
Debut work: Ano Natsu (1985)
Source: Goo Ranking