What You Need to Know:
- Fena: Pirate Princess is an 18th-century tale of pirates, princesses, and samurai produced by Production I.G, one of Japan’s foremost animation studios, and directed by Kazuto Nakazawa, who is known for his film B: The Beginning.
- Set in an alternate history, the story depicts the journey and growth of the heroine Fena, a victim of the cruel wiles of fate. This week, the first key visual and promotional video were released. The anime will be broadcast in Japan in October 2021.
- The music will be provided by Yuki Kajiura, who has worked on the soundtracks of numerous anime including Tsubasa Chronicles and Sword Art Online and who produced “Homura”, the award-winning theme song of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train.
- Story: The tale begins 10 years ago on the Atlantic Ocean. A young girl named Fena Houtman is traveling with her father, but their ship is attacked by pirates. Fena manages to survive by escaping alone in a small boat. She drifts to Shangri-La, an island of prostitution that is tacitly approved by the state. 10 years later, she has grown into a beauty with skin as pale as snow and silvery blonde hair. However, she cannot bear to face her first “job” and decides to escape from the island, something she has fantasized about many times before.
As she is running from her pursuers, she is saved by Yukimaru, a young man wearing bright red armor and a helmet with deer antlers. Yukimaru was the young boy who promised Fena that he would find her. Their reunion reminds Fena of a memory that lay dormant inside of her... A sinking ship engulfed in flames. “I’ll find you!” shouts the young boy. And the words of her beloved father, “Head for Eden!” Fena sets out on a journey with Yukimaru and his comrades to unravel the mysteries of Eden.
- The main cast and staff were also revealed:
“I am truly honored to have been given the opportunity to create the music for Fena: Pirate Princess, a romantic tale of treasure hunting on the ocean. I had a lot of fun composing music that would be suitable for an ocean adventure. The characters are unique, and the scenery as they travel is absolutely gorgeous! I can’t wait to watch their full adventure from beginning to end. I hope that my music will be worthy of this anime, and that everyone who watches it will enjoy the soundtrack!”
Fena Houtman: Asami Seto
Yukimaru: Ryōta Suzuki
Karin: Aoi Yūki
Shitan: Takahiro Sakurai
Enju: Gen Satō
Kaede: Ryōta Ōsaka
Makaba: Shintarō Tanaka
Salman: Manabu Muraji
Otto: Hiroaki Hirata
Original Concept: Kazuto Nakazawa x Production I.G
Director: Kazuto Nakazawa
Script: Asako Kuboyama
Music: Yuki Kajiura
Music Production: FlyingDog
Animation Production: Production I.G
Source: Official Press Release